[Dailydrool] Same old story

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Aug 8 08:14:49 PDT 2010

A distant relative I'm now more aware of thanks to Facebook has just
announced on Facebook that he needs to find a new home for his five-
and-a-half-year-old lab. He's had this dog since she was six weeks
old. But last month his fiancee and her preschool-aged son arrived
from Russia, and he's decided the new apartment he found for all of
them is too small and the dog isn't getting the same amount of
attention anymore. It's the same old story only with a bit of a
twist. Instead of "get a kid, ditch the dog," it's "get an instant
family, ditch the dog."

So far the Facebook response has been unanimous in urging him to give
everyone time and the dog will adjust. I was wondering if anyone on
the Drool had suggestions for ways to help incorporate the dog into
the new family. To make this basset related, I sent him a response
that describes how we get through daily tasks while managing to give
our Elsinore and young Charlie attention. I can make phone calls,
read books, and pay bills while patting and talking to Elsinore. I
can fold laundry while playing tug-of-war and fetch with Charlie.
Sure, the folding takes longer, but it still gets done and Charlie
gets some important one-on-one attention. I also mentioned our family
after-dinner walks with the hounds when it's not stinking-hot-summer.
When it's too hot for walks, I'll pop the hounds in doggie day care
for a day, which gives them a change of pace and space. Since we're
starting our third month of temps in the 90s with no end in sight, I
think Elsinore and Charlie will be heading off to doggie daycare next
week to expend some energy.

What else would you all recommend?

Elizabeth