[Dailydrool] Nails and anals

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 13:09:20 PDT 2010

A nail trim should be done in a matter of minutes. If you quick a dog you
stop and fix it, you don't them bleed all over (and they will!) And you
apologize. You apologize to the dog, to the owner, to the dog, to the owner
and to the dog, and do nails on a table so you can see what you are doing
and can easily lift the paw without pulling either to the side or forward
too far, especially with short-legged dogs.
If the dog is difficult you get another person-- or persons-- to help and
apologize to the owner and remind them it is for the dog's comfort and
safety if he or she can be held still.
If the dog is intractable you suggest gently to the owner that the dog may
behave better in back or without the owner in the room and then you get
enough people to GET IT DONE. Chances are good if the dog is that bad about
having his nails done he is going to empty his anals for you, probably all
over you. If you are experienced, you have at least one other smock out in
the car that is clean.
I used to cut my dogs nails at home. Once I quit work and quit doing it
every day I got to be a real chicken. My dogs know this and jerk when I try
to do nails. Now I pay like everyone else to have them done.
In 1960 my farrier charged $5 a horse foot to put on shoes. I expect $25 for
a nail trim on a dog now is about par for the course, altho it seems high to
me. $25 to do anals is absurd unless they are infected. I do anals at home.
My dogs are used to it and altho they don't enjoy it it isn't hard and saves
me a little.

MomPerson the nail chicken.