[Dailydrool] Oscar

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Aug 11 20:46:46 PDT 2010

As I say of these little things called hounds ... you have a basset come
into your life, they dig a hole in your heart to curl up and lay down in ...
when they leave us, they leave a hole that can never be filled... we get
ourselves yet another hound, who will ultimately dig another hole, to curl
up and lay down in ... and the cycle begins again.

Happiness and pain, you can't have one without knowing the other, and its
judging those moments against each other that lets us know how happy or how
painful we feel in our lives, and knowing the pain of loss makes us realize
how lucky we are to have them for as long as we do, even if for only a day,
even if only a few hours.

I transported a beautiful elder one day, five + years ago, and just that
hour and a half has left a mark that's stayed with me all this time.  His
name, for us, was Mr. Beasley.  He was found wondering the estates of former
President George Washington .. yes Mount Vernon, just south of DC by the
staff that works there.  They took him in for a week or so, trying to find
his owner but realized when they couldn't find one that someone needed to
get him into the hands of rescue.

Mr. Beasley made a trip from Mount Vernon to Tysons, then Tysons to
Hagerstown Md where BROOD has their main vet & kennels.  It was there Brood
made the difficult choice to let him sleep eternal when, while under
anesthesia for vetting (teeth, mass probing on jaw, chest, rear) it was
found he was full of cancer and would not have had long, and would probably
be in pain for the rest of his time here...

I knew him for 2 hours... and he left his mark,  ... dug his hole ... that
reminds me just as much as my loss in 2004, of why I help rescue today...
never to replace, never really filling those holes ... but making new ones
and making us stronger each time.

Good going Oscar .... burrow your hole, curl up and lay down, make that hole
in the Haney Hearts, for them to carry forever, long past the day you'll
leave us... good going you little houndie you.

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Oscar

Just thought I would drop a quick note and let you know I adopted Oscar, a
tri-colored basset.
<snipped>
I could never replace Rebel(who had cancer and went to the Rainbow in March)
but I have cried every day since March 5th.  I couldn't even think about
another dog for a while, I couldn't even read the drool for a while but as
time went on I began to think.......maybe..........  Oscar has helped fill a
void and we're happy to report he has a lot of "bassetitude"!!