[Dailydrool] Strong Urine

Isabel Cerchiaro icerchiaro at uol.com.br
Sun Aug 15 07:05:39 PDT 2010

Be sure to check if he has a urinary infection. We got Bertand when he was 1.5 years old. A ex-friend of ours bought him for her mother-in-law and the MIL didn't like the gift, so before she returned to the breeder, she asked us if we would like to keep him, since we always said the next dog would be a basset hound after the beagle I had before I was married. So, he came to us. He never drank much water and he would pee on the carpets, sometimes in the designated area near the washing machine. His pee had a strong smell and color. After 3 months with us (after we discovered he had gastritis due to the conditions he used to live at the breeder), he started to pee blood. That's how we discovered that he had kidney problems that developed into urinary disease.

Ah! I said an ex-friend, because after we had the dog for 2 months and he had already won our hearts, he showed signs of the gastritis. When we discovered the urinary disease 1 month later, we asked this "friend" to contact the breeder and ask about the conditions he was really kept over there, since the dog came full of diseases (his urinary disease became 2, one common to bassets, the other is genetic. The first one could have been avoided if the food given to him was a quality quibble). She suggested we returned the dog to the breeder if we weren't satisfied with him! Everything was treatable! I asked her if she was going to get a divorce since her husband had gastritis!

We do believe that had we returned sweet Bertrand to the breeder he would have been killed.

Isabel and Bertrand