[Dailydrool] To the bridge

Marcia Kerns beachmoose at windstream.net
Tue Aug 17 17:01:59 PDT 2010

With a broken heart I tell you that we helped our Wally over the bridge this afternoon.  Such a tired and worn out old dog he was.  Our wonderful vet came out to the bassetmobile and sent him quietly on his way.  Riding was his favorite thing, so it was fitting.  We are devastated, but know that he was ready to go.

My best friend, my heart dog, our bell hound is now resting with Daphne and Ozzie.  Will there be singing at across the bridge?  If so, the choir director is on his way.  He doesn't worry much about food, but he does love his tennis balls and frisbees.  We don't have to lock the fence anymore since he isn't here to open it.  Our counter cruiser extrodinaire has moved to the big buffet.  My big smushy love bug.  It took two years to hold him without him melting down.  He associated hands with pain.  We broke that fear and his fear of the hair dryer.  What a kooky boo.  A clown who worked his darndest to amuse us and to understand just what it was we wanted him to do.

He was a Border Collie in a basset body.  Always in motion, he was our life's play by play.  He always had a comment and was not afraid to offer it loudly.  He was tolerant of the rest of the pack even though he knew he was far above them in intelligence.  He knew absolutely that he was my favorite.  The Best Basset Ever.  There will never be another like him

Rest well, sweet Walter.  You have lived a full life full of joy, tricks, and destruction.  There are many memories of you here.  You are forever in our hearts and have earned your new life at the bridge.  Wait for us.  Give Oz and Daphne a nuzzle and tell them we still miss them.  I don't know that Daphne will be happy to see you, but you'll win her over again.

Marcia and George and the Beach Bassets less one