[Dailydrool] [Bulk] Good Golly, Ms. Dolly!

Wendie Prince houndsabound at att.net
Fri Aug 20 04:42:04 PDT 2010

Janet,

I wanted to respond to your post about Dolly and her behavior of urinating
in the house.  You may just be looking at time and consistency.

When we pulled Jacob from the shelter he was in, it took about 8 months to
get him to want to go out and do his business.  We had several hounds here
at the time too, and usually the new comer would pick up on the routine.

I think Jacob had never been inside, so when he found he had a safe, warm,
clean, dry place to be, he was afraid if he went out, he would not be let
back inside.  What we ended up having to do, and at times it was very
frustrating, was take him out on a leash until hew would urinate.  Sometimes
this took 20-30 minutes in the beginning.  Certainly more than I wanted to
spend trying to get one dog ready so I could go to work.  But after about 8
months,  he started going out by himself,  and would com e running back in
the house,  never staying out,  and look at me, like,  Mom  I was a good
boy!   And he was, even before he did that.  He never, through out his life
enjoyed being outside, he was my couch potato.   He would want to go to the
dog park, but once there, always was at the gate wanting to go home.  Jacob
was also one of ours who would put his head through the dog door and if it
was raining, urinate in the threshold, thinking he was out enough to count.

Be patient, praise her, and it will click in one of these days.

wen and the Bounders

www.seniorhoundsabound.org