[Dailydrool] Bassets in Kill Shelters

Cyn Mobley dogrescue at atriskintervention.org
Tue Aug 31 09:58:16 PDT 2010

Way to go, Bluegrass Basset, for rescueing Fred! A senior with medical
issues rarely has any chance at all in a shelter and it's the heart of
rescue to step up for a fellow like that even when you're overflowing with
fosters.

Now, I'd like to ask for Droolhelp. I do routine sweeps on petfinder.com to
look for Basset in dire straits. Belly Rubs Basset Rescue will normally pull
a Basset in an open access shelter that euthanizes for space. We work in TN,
northern MS, eastern AR usually, but are open to helping in other states as
we can, if we have resources in the area, and if space permits.

IF you run across a Basset in our areas that's in a shelter, would you drop
me a line if you have time? I really don't want to miss any.

We normally don't take owner surrenders for a number of reasons: first, if
it's a stray, it's hard to make sure you have legal title to the dog. All we
need is to do a neuter on a dog and find out he's a champion who escaped
from a car during a rest break. You also run into issues when there's a
divorce or other family situation and several people claim ownership.

Second, by that point, the dog normally needs some routine vet care, e.g.
shots, and often needs neutering. We often get better pricing from vets.

Finally, if we take an owner surrender, we may not have room for a kill
shelter dog. We want to encourage people to live up to their own
responsibilities to their pets. If the dog ends up in a shelter in our area,
the shelter will normally call us anyway and then we can step in.

So -- if anyone hears of Bassets in shelters in TN/AR/MS, please feel free
to give me a shout! I'd rather hear several times than risk missing one.

If the dog is NOT in our area, you can find a local rescue group by checking
http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm#B . Rescuers, if you're not listed
there, drop the akc a note and get listed!

Cyn Mobley
Intake, Belly Rubs Basset Rescue.
http://bellyrubs.org