[Dailydrool] very frustrating...Liz

Kristy A Meyers kawarner at umich.edu
Wed Dec 1 11:27:28 PST 2010

Hi.
Maybe try muzzling Liz? We have had similar issues with Holly-our
adopted doxie-basset mix. We have had her for over a year...and have
had the same issues. She is an alpha female and would do best in a one
dog home. We have other dogs..so that is not an option for us. We
adopted her as a last resort....and have just done the best we can
with her.

A trusted basset rescue expert suggested to us to muzzle Holly. It did
seem to help. We put in on her in the times when she was most likely
to snap...feeding time, when I come home from work etc. We got one
that was a wire basket....so she could drink with it on, breath
ok...just couldn't eat. I think she started to realize..when I snap,
bite, growl at the other dogs...the muzzle comes out. We were also
told to walk her with the other dogs to help her feel like part of the
pack. We also keep her behind a gate for a "time out" if she really
oversteps.

Suprisingly, the best thing that has helped her is we are fostering a
dog that doesn't back down from her. The foster stood up to her-and it
has helped a lot. We also tell her no-every single time she growls,
snaps etc. It is not the ideal situation..but it is manageable. All
our other dogs are very submissive.so they don't bother her. Since the
foster basset arrived....she is realizing she is not the queen bee. If
we give them bones or treats-we keep them separate.

If she acts up when you or your husband is sitting with the other
dogs...put her in another room-and let her out after a "time out". It
sounds like she is trying to be alpha over you and your husband too. I
have had to work hard to let Holly know I am the alpha girl in the
house..not her.
Hope this helps in some small way. If you love this dog-don't give up.
A last resort would be to return her to the rescue and place her in a
one dog home....which I can't do after having Holly so long. I suspect
you feel the same. Good luck.
Kristy