[Dailydrool] A sticky hip problem solved (I think)

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 18:04:08 PST 2010

One of our hounds, Harley, has started a hotspot on one of his hips, where a
cyst has disappeared. The area looks fairly healed, but will not remain so if he
licks it. A soft e-collar would solve this problem, and we have one. But it does
not solve the problem of Harley's brother, Bo, coming over and licking Harley's
beginning hotspot for him. The solution needs to be either hot sauce on the spot
(ouch?) or covering the spot.

Previously I have solved problems such as this with homemade basset
suits/britches (which are now worn out), but at the moment my sewing machine is
in the shop for a week, and the problem is now. SO, I discovered a wonderful
solution. This time of year (and also around Halloween), Petco carries themed
"dog pajamas" (suits with four legs) for dogs much smaller than basset
hounds--Santa costumes, skeleton costumes, etc. The largest size looks like it
would fit a pug maybe. I picked up a pug-sized elf pajama suit. I put the back
legs part on Harley. That part fit fine--but of course the rest of the suit came
only to about Harley's ribcage. No problem. I ran a ribbon through the front leg
sleeves and then tied the ribbon to Harley's collar. I gathered up the excess
suit bunched around the front of Harley's hips (the part that on a pug would
have been around its ribs and shoulders) and tied a ribbon around that and drew
it tight. The end result is a pair of green velour "overall shorts" with
suspenders that protect Harley's hips from both his own and Bo's ministrations
but don't interfere with other movement or activity.