[Dailydrool] toenails

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 10:33:08 PST 2010

I have to agree with Riche here. Some dogs kind of blow off the whole
process of nail trims and others you have to actually knock out --and I mean
with a sedative-- to do without being bitten or causing the dog to harm
himself fighting.
 If you think there is any chance your dog may snap-- use a muzzle. Don't be
a hero. Dog bites on the hand hurt like hell, especially the next day when
you are trying to fasten your jeans. Trust me on this.
If you hesitate and are fearful of hurting the dog, let the pros do it. It's
not worth it. The dog will sense your nervousness and become nervous and
start jerking, or whining, or screaming, or snapping and then you are done
before you start and the dog has learned how to stop you from cutting his
nails.
I let the pros do mine 90% of the time, and I used to do it routinely for
dogs that came in. Now and then you quick a dog but it just happens, it
doesn't mean you are a terrible person.
AND I might add this:
Some dogs, when you do quick them, act as if you have just cut the entire
paw off with a dull saw and no anesthetic. Ohhhh the screams!! (Conley.)
Other dogs will jerk their foot or just stare at you. Some dogs even give no
indictation until you notice the trail of blood they are leaving as they are
being walked up to join their owners. (wAITWAITWAIT!!!)
Buy a nylon muzzle. Use it if you think your dog may be touchy. Better yet,
let your Vet or Tech do it.
Their bills at the ER are usually covered by someone else, anyway.

MomPerson to Nigel (No No No...Let Doc do it.) Llewis (Wait what are we
doing is that a treat?) Conley OOOOOONOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cooper (Outta here so
fast...)