[Dailydrool] Arnie is the same

Mr Shannon R Gerdel bassethoundbutler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 11:57:12 PST 2010

Hello Drool Family

I heard from the vet this am. Unfortunately, Arnie is doing about the same.
Cathy and I are heartbroken, and we are faced with many very upsetting
realities.

PLEASE NOTE: Cathy and I have read all of the emails and DD posts that we
have gotten. We are so grateful for all of the love and support that we have
been shown by all of you. You are all the best. I am very afraid. I fear
that no matter what we do, someone will be angry at us.

All I know is what we have been told. The veternary school in Denver has
started to advise that vets not use prednisone, due to the very bad side
effects. They are also very concerned that if they take Arnie off of the
Rymadil, that his pain will become unbearable. Rigyht now, his pain is under
control. He just is unable to walk, or use his hind legs. (Please forgive my
tyos, I'm crying so hard that I cannot see)

This is all my fault. If I wasn't sick, we could bring him home right now,
and let him rest here. I am unable to pick him up, or help him out, I'm
sorry.

I had an in home medical procedure yesterday that went bad, and I am in
constant pain. Please be patient with me.

Cathy and I are limited in our ability to do what some of you have suggested
due to many factors:

1. The following is not an excuse for anything, it's just a reality to our
situation. Most of you know, but some do not. I have a brain tumor, I am on
oxygen, I am in a wheelchair, I have a supra pubic catheter, and I have
COPD.

2. We are unable to take him to a holistic or alternative vet due to
financial reasons. The vet that we have now is so good to us. He gives us
discounts, and he allows us tp make payments.  We are still trying to pay
off the emergency bill that we aquired when the neighbor (we assume) fed him
something that almost killed him due to hemoragic diareah. I got screamed at
once by a DD member when I said that I trusted my vet.

3. Cathy has a grandma that is ailing, and we have a child with a mental
illness that require some extra help sometimes. I love my wife more than
anything in this world (besides the Lord), and I feel guilty that I am a
burden to her. I know that my illness has a dramatic impact on her life. She
doen't complaign, that is not what I mean.However, there is only so much she
canb do to. She works full time, she is a full time caretaker for me, she
takes care of the animals, ..and I just lost my tain of thought. Sorry. I
was going somewhere with this.....I lost it.--

The plan is this: Cathy is working late tomight, and she will go pick up
Arnie in the morning. We will bring him home, and see how he does until
Monday. One day at a time.

I don't think that I could stand it if I thought that one of you were mad at
us. I apologize in advance, the tumor is in the part of my brain that
controls my emotions. Please don't flame me, or scream at me.

We are doing the best we can, with what we have. And it's not enough. I'm
sorry, I don't know what else to say. I love you all, and I'm sorry that my
illness has an impact on every decision that we make.

No One is in a hurry to put Arnie down. Thank you for the Drool.

Houndie Hugs and Snooter Kisses from the Caspaw Cwew!

In Drool,

Babe: dogster.com/dogs/261208
Boomer: dogster.com/dogs/235129
Arnie: dogster.com/dogs/281040
Shannon (an absolute, total, complete BassetCase)
Facebook: facebook.com/shannon.r.gerdel
MySpace.com/shannongerdel

Mr. Shannon R. Gerdel
3583 Meadowlark Drive