[Dailydrool] midnight walks...

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 04:43:10 PST 2010

Horse leads are very sturdy, fairly inexpensive and usually come in a number of pretty colors and designs. They have a sturdy clip on both ends- you can put one on the collar and the other end on your beltloop, the car around the tree etc. Wherever you need a quick 'holder' when you haven't got the hands to hold the leash. I have used it to hold two bassets together to keep them from wandering off ( they never seem to understand that if they both went the same way they could just "go"...) If you don't have a Tractor Supply store nearby try the internet.

The post about the squirrel chasing basset has been on my mind the last few days. While training to 'come' is certainly useful- NEVER trust that completely. While she may come nicely during a training session she will likely go deaf dumb and blind the next time she is loose and there is a squirrel nearby. They sell very long training leads- I know at least of a 40ft and you could even put two together for more length to give her the freedom to run and you the peace of mind while there is not secure fencing to hold her in.

droolies, Angelika