[Dailydrool] rehoming breeding dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 05:10:45 PST 2010

Once a dog is neutered or spayed the* hormonal* desire to breed is ended. If
you are talking about puppy mill breeding the problem is not hormonal once
they are fixed and about 6 weeks has passed, (MY OPINION,) but behavioral.
I would think a one dog home with a dedicated owner, patient to the max and
willing to train train train nicely nicely, lots of treats and no punitive
measures, would have easily as much success as someone with another dog
already who may have good habits and a few bad ones.

I would certainly say that they learn from each other but I do not think
this is a reason to refuse a home, in my opinion. I am not sure how much I
would want, for example, Conley to teach a new dog.
I know from experience that housebreaking seems to be easier with multiple
dogs. I never really trained Conley-- the boys did. He got watched and he
got swept outside when we caught him, but mostly it was simply going out
with the others, who are housebroken.

With one dog you start from the beginning, assuming the dog knows nothing,
and treating it like a puppy.
I do not agree that you have to have another dog in order to re-home a
former puppy mill or breeding dog. Spay, neuter, train. My opinion.
Occaional indoor "marking" may remain a problem but it is not a big problem,
in my opinion. Certainly not enough to refuse to re-home.

I am not a behaviorist nor a Vet. Take what you want and leave the rest.
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper