[Dailydrool] Cabin Fever with 2 Bassets

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Sat Feb 6 16:22:52 PST 2010

I live in central NJ, and the storm dumped about 6-8 inches here last night and into today...not nearly as bad as further south, but it did keep me home all day.  Whenever I'm home, Fred and Annie spend large parts of the day staring at me or following me around (I live in a townhouse, so it's not like I can really disappear!)  When I work, we have a routine, but when I'm home, they seem to think that I should spend the entire day entertaining them (ie; walking them, feeding them or petting them.)  However, I usually leave the house for a few hours to run errands, visit family, etc., so they can't gang up on me too much... Well, this morning started off with me deciding I'd make a banana bread for breakfast.  Fred sprawled out in front of the open pantry, so that I had to stretch over him to get out the things I needed.  Annie paced in the kitchen, RIGHT behind me.  Every time I turned around, I'd practically trip over her!  I then made cookie dough for cookies I'm bringing to a Superbowl party tomorrow.  Annie decided to go lay down, but Fred took over standing under my feet.  He continued this when I was cutting up chicken for chicken tenders I'm making for the same party.  I don't know how I didn't fall on top of him!  When I'd yell, "Fred, MOVE!" he'd, you guessed it, stare at me.

I then tried to sit down with a cup of coffee and a slice of banana bread...Fred and Annie made sure they were close enough to me so that I couldn't forget to share with them.  I tried to read a book...Fred kept leaning on me, bumping my hand with his nose because I obviously am not allowed to turn the page of my book if that means I stop petting him for 5 seconds.  I had the curtains of my sliding doors open so that I could watch the snow...every child playing, plow plowing or person shovelling must have appeared to be a dangerous intruder.  Just as I thought that maybe, just maybe, they were going to take a nap, Fred and Annie would jump up barking and going nuts.

Exasperated, I finally turned off the TV, shut all the curtains and the room got pretty dark.  Within seconds they were both sound asleep on the couch...ahhh, peace at last!  Well, at least until I got up to put clothes in the dryer...guess who followed me into the laundry room???

Rose (I need to get out of this house!!), Annie (Mommy, where are you going??) and Fred (Mommy, what are you doing, and does it involve food??)