[Dailydrool] first foster, new problems

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:19:40 PST 2010

Roxanne joined the family as a new foster nearly 2 weeks ago.  At first she was fine with the cats but then she had just been spayed that morning.  As she recovered she began to bark at them, first a little than a lot, getting more excited the more she barks.  I pull her away or stand between her and the cat and insist she back up.  The cats are not about to give ground.  Roxy worries me in that as she escalates I am afraid one of the cats may scratch her causing her to harm the cat in return.  She will bark endlessly at the cat under the bed not even noticing the cat on the bed who is enjoying the show.  Other times she will be sitting near same cat she generally barks at and and naps quite happily.  I do try to stop the barking before she escalates but there are times when I can't get there immediately.  Even a foster mom needs bathroom breaks.  Spraying water in her face works momentarily and before she gets excited.  Food rewards work pretty well but that can set off Butttercup who does not like to see HER TREATS misused in this manner.  Any suggestions?  This is my first foster.  Sue K