[Dailydrool] RECALL: NATURE'S VARIETY Raw Frozen Chicken Formula

Kathleen Jones klj at efn.org
Fri Feb 12 13:01:08 PST 2010

Just saw this on another list.  Drat. I had a coupon.  My late kitty loved this stuff.

Kathleen & Maestro
(w/Henry Wadsworth & Bentley Basset ATB)

-----------------------------------

-
Recall -- Firm Press Release

FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/UCM200248

 Nature's Variety Issues Nationwide Voluntary Recall On Raw Frozen Chicken Diets With A "Best If Used By" Date Of 11/10/10

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - February 11, 2010 - Nature's Variety has initiated a voluntary recall of their Chicken Formula Raw Frozen Diet for dogs and cats with a "Best If Used By" date of 11/10/10 because these products may be contaminated with Salmonella.  The only products affected are limited to chicken medallions, patties, and chubs with a "Best If Used By" date of 11/10/10.  No other Nature's Variety products are affected.

The affected products are limited to the Nature's Variety Chicken Formula Raw Frozen Diet packaged in the following forms:

    * 3 lb chicken medallions (UPC# 7 69949 60130 2) with a "Best If Used By" date of 11/10/10
    * 6 lb chicken patties (UPC# 7 69949 60120 3) with a "Best If Used By" date of 11/10/10
    * 2 lb chicken chubs (UPC# 7 69949 60121 0) with a "Best If Used By" date of 11/10/10

The "Best If Used By" date is located on the back of the package above the safe handling instructions.  The affected product was distributed through retail stores and internet sales in the United States, and in limited distribution in Canada.

---
and from Nature's Variety:
At Nature's Variety, we make every effort to ensure the quality of all our products. Recently one package of our Chicken Raw Frozen Medallions tested positive for a strain of Salmonella. We have determined that this is a limited production issue that affects only the lot of Chicken Raw Frozen Diets with the "Best If Used By" date of 11/10/10. Therefore, we have decided to voluntarily recall this lot of product from the marketplace."
"No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this issue. No other Nature's Variety products are affected. "
Only Nature's Variety Chicken Formula Raw Frozen Diets with the "Best If Used By" date of 11/10/10 are affected.  This includes:
.      UPC# 7 69949 60130 2 - 3 lb. Raw Frozen Chicken Formula Medallions
.      UPC# 7 69949 60120 3 - 6 lb. Raw Frozen Chicken Formula Patties
.      UPC# 7 69949 60121 0 - 2 lb. Raw Frozen Chicken Formula Chubs
.      UPC #7 69949 50121 3 - 12 lb. Raw Frozen Chicken Chub Case