[Dailydrool] heartworm treatment

Kelly Epley epilady1960 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:58:59 PST 2010

Jessica,

I been through this several times in the last 2 years.  Benedryl is your
friend.  If the heart rate gets up, the worms can shatter in the heart.  For
at least 2 weeks, bathroom breaks should be on a leash, no jumping on the
furniture and no playing.  Some dogs tolerate this better than others.
 Remember this is like super charged chemo.  Coughing is likely to indicate
too much activity.  Some dogs need steroids to help them through the rough
parts.  If you don't get steroids and experience excessive coughing or
bloody Flem, call the doc.  In really advanced cases, some dogs have
respiratory distress and very itchy skin.  I had one foster that itched so
badly, he would escape the kennel and try to scratch his whole body on the
wall.  This occurred about 4 weeks into treatment, when the worms reached
mircoflaria stage.  If your foster was not couching or having excessive eye
drainage prior to treatment.  You will see them rest for 2 weeks then
everyday following, see an increase in activity level.  Keep in mind they
can test positive for up to 6 months following treatment.  It takes some
that long to rid themselves of the antibodies.  I have had 8 to 10 fosters
in the past 2 years with heart worms.  Even the very bad case emerged a
healthy happy dog, with no damage to his heart.