[Dailydrool] Recurrent UTIs

Pat Dill padill at starband.net
Sat Feb 20 08:17:20 PST 2010

Having had lots of bassets over the years, we have also had a number of
cases of back-to-back UTIs.  It is more frequent in girls than boys, but
we've had some boys with the problem, too.  I guess the girls are more prone
because the distance from the outside to the bladder is much shorter for
them than the boys.

Has your vet drawn a sterile urine sample and had it cultured?  It is
possible that the initial UTI was never cleared up, and what seems to be 4
separate infections is instead the same one which retreats for a while with
the antibiotic but then flourishes again once it is removed.  By determining
exactly what bacteria are causing the infection, the vet can select exactly
the right antibiotic to kill it off once and for all.

Recently, our vet suggested that we try a daily 100 mg dose of
nitrofurantoin for Rosie, our 14-yr-old hound with recurrent bladder
infections.  His explanation was that it works somehow to prevent infection
as opposed to killing a pre-existent one.  She's been on it now for about 6
months, and we haven't had any more infections.  Your hound is so young,
though, and perhaps something like the suggested surgery would make sense.

I would be interested to hear others' experiences with recurrent UTIs
because we think over the years we've had more than our fair share even
though I never read that bassets are more prone to them than other breeds.

Pat Dill
Proud to be loved by Rosie, Bailey, Sampson, Lucy and Buddy.