[Dailydrool] Recurrent UTIs

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 09:37:39 PST 2010

I have to agree with Pat Dill on the recurrent UTI's.  As a nurse I have seen many patients
who have recurrent UTIs within 1-4 months of each other.  Many times, as Pat said, the
antibiotics will knock down the infection but not eradicate it.   I also suggest having a
sterile urine taken then have a urinalysis (UA) with culture and sensitivity (C&S).  The
C&S  will identify the bacteria and the sensitivity will help the vet to pick the appropriate
antibiotic.   My other suggestion is to have another UA w/C&S done 4-7 days after she
has completed the antibiotics.  Sometimes the patient (furry or human) just need a different
antibiotic for a longer period of time. (Sadie Maye and I are raising paws.)

I know I have read posts by other droolers that giving cranberry tabs helps.  The idea of
wiping there bottom after each potty break is great.  The rectum is so close to the urethra
opening and below it that it would not take much for it to travel down.  My last suggestion is to
have her checked for a vaginal infection as a possible cause.

We are sending drool to all humans and hounds in need.  You are in our prayers.
Karen and The Dog House Gang

Dis Sadie Maye.  Me thinks dat houses shud be desined wit us houndies in mind.
Why we needin an indoor potty dat down low an fwush affer we dun doin we
buzziness.   Dis preebent da bad UTIs and keep we frum goin in da rain or scaree
dark.  Da hoomans hab wun so we need to deemanin wun.  Me deemandin me
houndie rights.  Me git awl da gang an go on da stwike!

Lub,
Sadie Maye