[Dailydrool] Pest control

Wendie L Prince houndsabound at att.net
Mon Feb 22 08:43:04 PST 2010

They didn't, but one day Bel grabbed at something. I soon discovered
> that he had a dead and most likely poisoned mouse in in his mouth. When I
> went to get it, he swallowed. Some hydrogen peroxide took care of that,
> but I hate to think what would have happened had I failed to see that he
> had it. There's a good chance he too would have been poisoned.

Our Jenny ate a poisoned rat one evening( the neighbors had put out poison)
and because it was after 5pm...normal vet closed, and before 6pm.....ER vet
not opened yet,   we gave her hydrogen peroxide also, which ended up with
the rat coming back up.
Afterwards, I still called the ER vet and was told........though I do not
know if I believe it,   that secondary ingestion (what eating a poisoned
animal is called)   is not deadly to the animal eating it.
He told me having the dog puke it up was more dangerous than letting the rat
get digested due to bones of the rat possibly causing damage on the way back
up.
I did let him know the rat was swallowed whole,  but he still insisted I
should not have had her throw it up.
Not sure I would do it any differently if it happens again....and it better
not!

Pest control is tricky in a house full of hound dogs!

wen and the Bounders
Check out February Frenzie at    www.seniorhoundsabound.org