[Dailydrool] Obedience Training "star"

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Fri Feb 26 13:29:15 PST 2010

This is so exciting!  I just wrote a short article to a website who had described the basset as difficult to train.

They are not difficult to train, it is just our mindset as basset lovers that often gets in the way.

I have learned that it is ok to preview a reward for my dogs.  Here.... do what I ask and you will get this.  They will work for what they want.  Afterall, they are bred to be independent thinkers, so it is all about convincing them it is worth their effort, no matter what the task.

Then all I have to do next is start to put the reward somewhere other than the same pocket or hand... mix it up so sometimes you have to even walk into another room to get it while they hold a sit or down stay.

Bassets can be just as sharp as a border collie.  You just have to find what floats their boat and use it~

Best,

Sara*