[Dailydrool] Obedience training "star"

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Feb 27 15:44:04 PST 2010

> When I called to reserve the spot and told them I had a Basset
> Hound, the guy said it might take a bit longer for him to learn.
> How sad, but true is that?

Oh, dear. Yet another obedience school instructor under the
impression that bassets are slow learners. That is sooooo not the
case! Bassets can be very quick learners--when they want to be. Find
the right motivation and any basset will pick up commands quickly.
It's also important that the basset have a good time with the
learning process. When it's not fun, the basset will stop learning
and either ignore you or play the goof to get laughs from everyone
else (which then makes it fun again for the basset, though not in the
right way for learning purposes).

Our Elsinore was in the top of her obedience 1 and 2 classes but lost
interest when we got to obedience 3, the class that prepares dogs for
serious competition. I got her into freestyle (dance) classes, which
she loves and is doing very well with. Young Charlie was focused and
eager to learn in his obedience 1 and 2 classes but decided he didn't
enjoy his pet therapy classes and simply tuned me out for half the
classes. Not even the best of treats could get his attention back
because he just wasn't having a good time. Now he's in freestyle
classes with Elsinore and becoming a good little dancer. Both of them
will turn pirouettes for Real Meat treats and an excited voice
telling them how wonderful they are.

Gallagher, we're counting on you being yet another of the scores of
bassets who've forced obedience school instructors to rethink their
preconceived and erroneous notions of bassets and obedience training.
You show 'em!

Elizabeth