[Dailydrool] Presents

Hilary Stevens hilaryjane at msn.com
Tue Jan 12 05:32:38 PST 2010

Can anyone help?

Millie has started leaving a 'present' for us to pick up in the morning.  Our last house had a doggy door so we were delighted when both houndage intially went through the night accident free when we moved into a new place that didn't have a dog door.

We're wondering why after four months Millie is now having difficulty going through the night without emptying her bowels (apologies if you are eating dinner!).  She had an inflammation of the colon over Christmas - could it be related to this?

The only other thing I can think of is that I went through a period of waking up at 3am a week or so ago and I used to let them both out.  Although admittedly, it was usually Alfie not Millie that went out.  Millie likes her comforts and it has been freezing.

We've also noticed some vomit - again, probably Millie.  Enci is convinced it is Millie having the accidents.  This is just as well as he will clear up after his Princess happily but will grumble if it is Alfie!!!!

I've found the thread about breeding versus adoption really interesting particularly the really detailed email from one contributor - sorry can't remember your name - that really spelled out the financial, time and emotionally costs of breeding. Wow was that an eye opener!  We got Alfie from a well known breeder in the UK as an 8 week old puppy but adopted Millie from Basset Hound Welfare and to be honest while I adore my Alfie, Millie has had fewer health problems and on balance possibly has the nicer (i.e. less grumpy!) temperment.

On another point, I was told that using a dog for stud could alter his behaviour (for the worse!).

Hilary, Alfie and Millie

Not got a Hotmail account? Sign-up now - Free