[Dailydrool] Or......

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 13:07:38 PST 2010

Bev wrote: "I personally do not think this is the way to learn about a new
breed. I would rather talk to and meet people with happy, well-adjusted dogs
so that I can see what my dog SHOULD be like, and so that I understand what
the breed IS like, before I commit to it."

Or......... you could do what WE did.  Buy a basset puppy out of the paper,
because "bassets are so cute".  Then, in spite of having owned dogs for 10
years as that point (including other puppies!), spend the next 16 months in
complete despair, leavened only by rage, at how the adorable little baby
basset girl you brought home:
 destroys everything,
has non-stop energy (but, they're couch ptoatoes!),
takes over a year to house train, even though we have a dog door and a
fenced yard
annoys our two adult dachshunds constantly, to the point that they attack
her
 ignores all attempts at training her or correcting her,
escapes the fence numerous times,
destroys all the bottom screens on our screened porch,
chews repeatedly through the gas line on the gas grill,
eats multiple remotes, expensive prescription glasses, electric wires,
christmas ornaments
eats THE STAIR RAISERS, in spite of us rubbing Tabasco sauce on them.....
and THEN:  gets glaucoma at the age of 18 months, necessitating over $5000
in vet bills over the next six months as she slowly and painfully loses
first her sight, then her eyes themselves.
---Voila - our introduction to bassets, via Pw. Annabelle (ATB).

So.. whichever way you prefer; Bev's, or ours.  Hah!

--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!