[Dailydrool] Burglars in the house

hinchliffe at aol.com hinchliffe at aol.com
Mon Jan 4 17:16:55 PST 2010

Poor Kacy -- bravely creeping downstairs to fight off the intruder with
your cellphone, only to be met by the mournful faces of the real burglars!

It reminded me of the time I woke up in the middle of the night hearing a
not-so-muffled thud downstairs, then someone moving around.  Yes,
definitely.  I discovered what they mean when they say "my heart was in my  throat."
I listened and waited, and it didn't go away.  Like watching  myself in a
movie, I reached for the phone and dialed 9-1-1 and whispered that  someone
was in my house.  "We'll be right there, ma'am, don't move."   Don't worry.
It seemed to take forever.  I reached over to Blueberry  for comfort, and --

She wasn't there.

She had to be there.  She always spent the entire night in  one position,
snuggled against me.  But no, she wasn't there.  In one  irrational moment, I
thought the thief had stolen her.

Then, as the policeman pounded on the front door and I heard a  surprised
arooo from the kitchen, of course I knew what was going on.

Sheepishly, I had to explain to the police that it wasn't a burglar, it was
 a basset.  She lay down on his feet, rolled over and offered the royal
tummy for worship, and he forgave her.  I'm not so sure if he forgave  me.

Trash everywhere.  Happy, burping basset.
Heart-still-galloping-like-Secretariat me.

Beth H. (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB)