[Dailydrool] snow, gotcha, drool, update here

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:30:41 PST 2010

First off, sending drool to Lucy and prayers that she does not have the "C"
word.  Next, happy belated gotcha day to Bwother Elwood (sorry if we spelled
your name wrong). We erased over 300 drool digests and started over again.

If any hound is looking to play in the snow, we got a ton of it for you. We
live in Fulton, NY and we have gotten over 4 feet of snow in about 3 or 4
days. It has been snowing for 9 days straight!   It is still snowing right
now. It is a good thing that the Dad Slave is trained to take the snow
blower and make trails all over the backyard for the 5 hounds. The problem
is I am too short to see the hounds once they enter the paths.  Also,
because I hate stereotypes--how some non-droolers, non-basset owners, and
those that say bassets are lazy and all. Our 10 year old basset Maggie was
plowing through the snow making her own trail running as fast as she could
over the weekend. I took a picture of her and all that can be seen is the
tips of her ears in the air and the top of her plump little butt. It is
quite funny.  It seems the older she gets the more spunk she has.  She
ticked Dad Slave off quite well on Saturday by knocking over the trash and
spreading it through 2 rooms. The rest of the hounds were in crates except
Oliver who is too short to knock over the trash. It is not the first time
she has done this either.  Gotta love the senior bassets.

In other news here, Mazzie is now a "young" senior. She is not doing too
well though. She is the basset that we adopted from the Humane Society in
August of 2004. She was 2 then. She had birth defected paw and leg. Over the
years it was discovered through various x-rays that she has fusion in her
spine. The fusion has gotten to the point that it is at least her L1 down.
It is now affecting her stance to have a bm. She is stiffer when getting up
and walking.  She is not active like she once was. She used to play much
more. She even walks different. She has to walk up 3 steps to get into our
house. It looks odd like part of her body is one big piece that doesn't move
separately.    She is not losing her urine like she once was though. She is
not surgery eligible. Perhaps it is the cold.

I will mention her to the vet when I take Oliver in today. Oliver the
"tweenie" dachshund is going in because the Dad Slave found a jelly bean
type mass under his jaw/in his neck. It seems to be in a different place at
times. Perhaps due to the extra skin. It seems to be inside of his body. I
hope that it is nothing. My poor baby.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,