[Dailydrool] Mama said there'd be days like this...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Wed Jan 6 09:51:31 PST 2010

 Okay...so I worked a double shift on the paramedic unit yesterday into last night.  Things calmed down after 2AM so we were able to get some rest, thank dawg.  Now comes the Basset-related part.  Shortly after I got home I discovered DH had apparently "leaned" on the  pet gate which disallows our crew upstairs in the carpeted part of our townhouse.  Since it's fastened in one spot to a spindle post, it cannot be leaned upon as if it isn't straight, the gate will not latch.  No latched gate and Daisy "the nose" will nudge it open and it's a houndie free-for-all.  Which is exactly what happened.

"I don't know how she does it, San." said my incredulous DH when I brought this to his attention.  HELLO!!!!  This is not rocket science, dude.  Anyway, it was obvious they went upstairs and each of them peed at least once on the carpet.  Now wouldn't this be exactly what you'd want to come home to after working 24 hours? (I don't think the brown truck has been by here with any deliveries for HIM lately, either... but I digress.) He had tried to "fix" the gate; all his efforts did was make things worse.  Believe me, I am far from mechanically inclined, but since I installed the gate and *gasp" read the instructions, I knew it had to come down and be reinstalled - which I did.  He did feed and walk the houndage prior to my arrival so I let him live - even though I'll have to drag out the carpet shampooer.

So, off to work he goes.  I'm in the kitchen getting ready to fix myself some breakfast and what do my wondering ears hear but a "whoosh" followed by a "thunk" and the sound of 12 paws thundering out the front door - which has blown open because my darling husband did not latch the front door when he left!   Aaaaaarrrrrgh!!!

"Stay!!!" I shriek.  Riiiiight....not one of the evil doers even gave pause for an instant!  Only Dozer remained inside.  So, I grab my coat, the leashes and off I go praying they don't dart in front of a car in the meantime.  In three minutes I am gasping for breath as I climb their favorite hill, 15 degree wind-chill sucking the air out of my lungs.  Not a one of them is in sight.  So, I head back home and get the car.  Within five minutes I have found Delilah who looks at me defiantly when I open the  car door and invite her to "come get a ride" and takes off up another hill.  Two minutes later I find her sniffing a deer trail, hook her to the leash and load her into the BUV.

After dropping her safely at home, off I go in search of the other two.  Not far away I see a police car sitting by the side of the road and an officer walking toward a grassy area with a length of rope in his hand, a good sign that he may have spotted one of the escapees. He has spotted them but they ran away.  I tell him what their names are and he promises to keep looking.  While we are chatting, here comes Daisy careening down the hill toward the car.  Unlike Delilah, she accepts my offer of a ride and treats and now I'm 2/3 of the way good to go.  I take another tour of the neighborhood and pass the nice officer's car again.  This time he's inside and flashes his lights at me.  I get a glimpse of a white-tipped tail wagging happily.  Inside the police car, secured with a length of rope Boy Scout knotted to his collar is Dudley.  He's tired and thirsty and is happy to come with me.

I bothered DH at work...he got the point.