[Dailydrool] Molly the Cat

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:26:35 PST 2010

Our Molly cat, who was 14 1/2 years old, went to the Bridge today. I'm not
sure that she ever realized that she was a cat. She has always been a pack
leader (even over Jersey!!) and made sure the Houndettes and the other two
cats stayed in line. She was every one's fierce protector and
would intervene in whatever fracas was going on, canine or feline! Molly
broke up more dog fights than the DH or I ever did. I think the Houndettes
were always so surprised to have this yowling, scratching creature in the
midst of their disagreements that that's what broke up whatever fight was
going on. Molly wasn't a huge cat but probably tipped the scales at around
15 pounds in her prime. We have watched her slowly decline over the past
couple of years and she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a few months ago.
We opted to give her the medication, however that was not what was in her
plan. She fought me tooth and nail over the past couple of months when it
was time for her medication and had gotten so that she was hiding from me so
that I couldn't give it to her. I finally gave up and opted for quality of
life, not quantity. She has had a couple of peaceful weeks with no meds and
lots of love but her weight had gone down to about six pounds so it was time
for her to join her brother, Eddy, at the Bridge. She will be terribly
missed by our whole family, hounds included.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger