[Dailydrool] Breeding - How does it work with Basset hounds? -- Serious Response

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 15:32:09 PST 2010

Everyone needs to print out the email that Sandi Wittenberg sent the list about breeding responsibly and tape it to your wall.  DO IT RIGHT NOW BEFORE YOU LOSE IT!

Not only is this a list that tells you what responsible breeding is about  - it is list of what you ask ANY breeder to describe to you before purchasing a puppy from them.

We create puppy mills and irresponsible breeding.  We do it by wanting a puppy right away and then finding one wherever we can.  We meet people and then we justify getting that puppy by saying that we felt sorry for it and saved it from a horrible life.  We try not to think of the mother and siblings and the kind of conditions they might be living in.

If we love bassets, and we all clearly do, then responsible breeding is a much a part of the mix as rescuing irresponsibly bred dogs.  Without responsible breeders there will be no healthy, well-adjusted bassets in the future.

All of the things that Sandi listed are all questions that any breeder should answer for you.  To say that a breeder will not take back a puppy and fully refund your money is not ok in the world today.  These dogs should be beloved members of their family and then any puppy guardians become extended members of that family and that dog should have it in writing that it must come back if you are dissatisfied for any reason.  If you die, and that dog is 10 and has three good legs, he needs to go back to the breeder with any requests for placement so that breeder can again make a decision to put him in the best home to meet his needs.  This is what members of the BHCA  and local clubs should be doing for their dogs, and everyone I know who is a member does exactly that.  Many also rescue dogs, support basset rescue and support genetic and health research with organizations like the BHCA and the AKC Canine Health Foundation.

They are also there 24/7 to answer any questions and also to pet sit or help you care for a dog in need and would never turn their backs on that dog.

And when you go looking for a puppy, think about the older dogs.  Even the two year old dogs, which many breeder has one or two that didn't quite turn out as expected, but they are already housebroken, socialized and make incredible pets, as do retired show champions which you may also be offered if you are like most of the Drool members who would be considered special and treasured dog guardians.  I would be more than happy to home any of my dogs to most here, but I do require that you live in California and have lived there for at least five years with no intent to move.  Responsible breeders and rescues will have requirements and that is a good thing!

And last but not least.  If people want a basset, but have never had one before, they really should FOSTER a rescued basset first!  That way they will find out if a basset is the right dog for the family, and at worst, they get it ready for its new home, and at best, they end up with two bassets, which everyone needs anyway.  And if you have a rescued basset, consider looking for a responsibly bred basset and taking it a step further to do the right thing by a basset who can participate and excel in sports, obedience, showing, agility, hunt tests, tracking and field trialing.

Best*

Sara Watson, CTC
Bluefence Bassets