[Dailydrool] Rescue vs puppies

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 20:11:20 PST 2010

We have done both, bought puppies and had rescues.  We had wonderful puppies and the rescue from hell.  When we got Sassy and Daisy we had never heard of rescue.  We wanted a basset or at least I did.  We ended up with two.  The first one caused so much grief that we went back and got her sister.  They were from champion bloodlines.  Their great grandfather and grandfather  was the grand champion basset of the UK.  These were the most beautiful girls.  But we just wanted them to love.  Our third basset was from a backyard  breeder.  He was a mess.  But we loved him so much.  He turned so white that people thought he looked faded.  After Sherlock, we got Sunny, the rescue from hell.  If she was the only rescue I had seen, I would never ever have taken another one.  She was nasty and she never forgot her bad treatment.  No amount of love fixed that.

And then we found Guardian Angel basset Rescue and found Ninja aka Daisy Belle on their website.  When she and Sunny met it was indifference at first sight.  They didn't even care enough to dislike each other.  Ninja became my girl and then two months later we found Marley at our vet's office.  She is now our resident grump  and a daddy's girl.  Right now she is in his lap helping him on the pooter.  Eight months later we were at the local shelter and there was this big beautiful bouncy basset girl in a cage with a dog named Elvis. She needed to come home with us so she could play.  She is such a sweety.  And then, there was Shelby.  She lost her person when he died and she needed a place to rest her wearing old self.  She walked into a house with three younger pushier bassets and pushed back.  She doesn't take guff from ANYone.  She will bowl anyone over hound or human if they get in her way.  Shelby is 14 and the queen of her domain.  She loves her people and her food.  The other bassets she could take or leave.  She even plays and chases when the mood strikes.

The patchwork bunch who live in Illinois--

Ninja--I is 7 years young and the bossy boots of the house.  I also the loudest girl.

Marley--I is 6 years old and is grouchy.  Don't mess wif me or i get you.  Or I be grouchy about it.

Maggie--I is 4 and a beautiful bunch of basset.  I loves to pway and wun and bewwow and chew and eat and wun and eat

Shelby--I is 14 and livin large.  I loves to sleep and eat and sleep and eat and tawk and well, I just love my life.

The momslave who can't understand how people can throw away such beautiful little souls.