[Dailydrool] puppy buyers LOL

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 06:39:23 PST 2010

Before we close out the breeding thread, I would like to share some of my
puppy buyers with you, and this is another reason I probably will never have
another litter.
I used to work in a state mental health center (loony bin.). I have seen a
lot of really weird behavior in hoomans and a lot of very convoluted
thinking.(If you can call it that.) I have raised two children to adulthood
and so am used to every excuse and alibi and glare that teenagers and three
yr olds have to offer. I am not without background, in other words.

Buyers come out of the woodwork, from under the floorboards. Every crackpot
known to mankind suddenly wants a coote lil bassie puppybaby.
Except.
Ahhh... my boyfriend and I think maybe this isn't the time.  (After 4 weeks
of negotiating and photos  and hour-long phone calls.)
I think $600 is kind of high, for a puppy, don't you?
No. Click.
This litter (this is my favorite and true) is really dark. (Yes it it: Daddy
was dark.)
(same buyer) You know they don't have a lot of white. (No, they don't.)
(same buyer) You know, dogs that win in the show ring have symmetrical white
markings. (amazing! The Judges seem to be unaware of this!)
(same buyer) Are you sure they're purebred?
KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!
(She got a dog the next day from the newspaper, after I informed her she
would not be getting one from me.)
There were more, oh there were many more.
Meanwhile, the breeder sits there and watches her puppies getting older and
older, needing training and medical care and  love and mostly-- homes.
I ended up keeping two and selling one to a friend for 1/3rd the going
price. 6 months later, Easter weekend, these people called and wanted to
return the puppy. I said--- what do you think I said?
CERTAINLY. Bring me everything she has-- her food bowl her blankies, her
toys, her food. Since it is easter weekend, bring her next Saturday.
But...what's the problem?

She ate some eyeglasses. (Ok, who left them down?) She isn't housebroken.
(She was almost housebroken when she left here.) Well what are you doing?
(It was what they were NOT doing. I got mad. I told them how to housebreak
her, and again said, bring everything with her when you come.) They were
afraid I would put her down. (Why do people think breeders automatically
deck returned dogs? I do not know a single one who does.)
Did I have room for her? NO, absolutely not. Would I have kept her forever
if necessary? Absolutely, damn straight I would have. I whelped that puppy.
She slid hot and slimy and struggling into my hands in the middle of the
night as I sat in the whelping box with Zelda. I was the very first thing
she sensed as I tore the bag off and handed her to my Vet friend to dry and
weigh. That was Naomi. I would have been glad to have her back. It would
have been awkward, but... we would have done it.

If I had my way, Conley would be hog-tied most of the day. (He already ate a
pair of earrings, I'm afraid, afraid-- they had hooks...I am still looking.)

Just wanted to let you know that Breeders have problems too, problems with
defective puppies, sick litters, bitches dying in birth, bitches refusing to
nurse or trying to kill the puppies--- buyers backing out, buyers being
crazy, buyers being crazy and backing out, buyers you worry about, buyers
you know but also know should not have a dog how do you say NO to a
friend?-- and I am NOT counting the actual breeding, gestation and whelping.

It's an amazing experience. Thank you, Zelda, for allowing me to experience
it, and congrats to your daughter the champion, but....I will probably never
do it again.
(And yes, I would take back a puppy that my males sired.)

MomPerson, off to another topic now.