[Dailydrool] Grieving

Jeanette Wilson jwilson at humanesocietytampa.org
Wed Jan 13 13:06:55 PST 2010

Hi Linda - I am sorry to hear about your kitty, Ollie. And yes, I do believe that our bassets can grieve for a cat. Last year we lost our 2 heavily bonded, old cats within 3 months of each other. Our basset, Monte, was deeply attached to them both & went through a spell. He was mopey & slow & just seemed depressed. It lasted for several weeks & he gradually came out of it. And our other cat, Buddy, would just walk from room to room howling. It was so sad. We recently got another cat that looks almost identical to our Oreo who had passed. He and Monte are now best buds!! They chase each other around, wrestle, sleep together.  Animals definitely know when one of their siblings is no longer here, regardless of the species.

Jeanette Wilson + Monte, Stella, & the cat trio