[Dailydrool] Breed Clubs and Rescue

basset911 at aol.com basset911 at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 15:31:36 PST 2010

And now I can breathe a sigh of relief as when I saw that Rescue vs Breeder
 header, I almost had a heart attack.  So many years of working against
that  mindset.  I'd hate to see it return.

In my world of rescue we could not effectively operate without the
friendship, support and networking that goes on by and between Basset Hound Club
of Southern California and Daphneyland. It's a 2 way street.
Club Members are ALWAYS ready to support us - whether by donation, by
sharing their vast experience on issues like whelping.  I am a rescuer, I  don't
whelp.  If it was not for the assistance of Sue Shoemaker during the
whelping of the Firecracker Pups - they would have died.  As would The  Blizzard
Pups and also The Kiss Puppies.  I still can't talk about the  litter that
the mommy ate 3 days out of a shelter - Sue - if your reading this -  Thank
You.

Don & Pam of Woebegon sponsor a run monthly, donate throughout the  year,
and donate raffle items all the time. Their friendship has meant the world
to the hounds.

Dan Hickey is heading up for feeding and bleach down this Friday - talk
about a brave man - it's deworming week at Daphneyland - ICK!!! lol.

Jill Beniak solicited donated booster baths, headed up several bath days -
Candy & Rob Holman are constantly coming up to help, Pam Heine & Jan  Kano
sponsored and strung one of our exercise yards - I don't want to exclude
anyone - but the poor rescue hounds have had enormous support from our local
breed club. And many BHCA members across the country donate privately as
well.  I am the proud Aunt of many show dogs - and hope to soon be the  proud
Aunt of Field Champions as well given the new ruling allowing S/N hounds  to
participate.  Many is the hound that enters rescue accompanied by AKC
registration.  It is WONDERFUL to see that we may finally be able to
participate in something most hounds genetically were meant to do -

This December at the club's Holiday party, donations for the hounds  were
asked for, and Club members gave product and financial support.

At Picnic time the club throws the event and promotes the bond of rescue,
club and pet owners. As rescue we promote it heavily - what an incredible
day to  be surrounded by well bred and adopted hounds.  I never make it thru
the  day without bawling.

My local breeders I consider to be friends, homes are referred, I can pick
up the phone and ask for ideas, vet referrals and experience.  The same is
true in reverse.
Recently, a club member died unexpectedly - although club members were
ready willing and able to help with the crisis, we were asked to help find good
 homes, and we did.

Thank goD for our local Club and all it's members.  Many who foster  and
also adopt.
If every rescue across the land had -10- Candy Holman's who always  foster
a senior special needs until their crossing - we would not develop senior
hound placement programs.
I wish all states had this networking.

Dawn of the West
_www.daphneyland.com_ (http://www.daphneyland.com/)
661  269-2682

Daily rehabilitation and socialization of up to 100 basset  hounds and some
mixes - public viewing and visitation are Saturdays &  Sundays from 11 - 5.
Come and rub bellies in person! Volunteer opportunities  abound!
The ranch will be closed on February 6, 2010 to the public. Open all  other
weekends in January & February.