[Dailydrool] Experience with Hill's, Royal Canin

Jaclyn Chancey jaclyn.chancey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 07:17:55 PST 2010

In our experience, Hill's prescription food stinks, literally. Almost-queen
Jake was prescribed the dental diet, and it made her stink. Not just a
stronger hound odor, either, but much worse, and a bath would only work for
a day or so. Changed her back to her regular food (Nutro Natural Choice at
the time, if I recall) and the problem went away.

Our cat Zack is on a prescription diet for IBS. On the Hill's, he still
occasionally would throw up meals and have an upset tummy. His last vet
switched him to the equivalent Royal Canin, and the improvement was
remarkable. He does not throw up, and let's just say that the litter box is
less filled with death...

It's a big enough difference that I have our new vet order Royal Canin for
him, and for Abbie now that she's on kidney diet (for bladder "sand," which
was a new one for me). Any vet can order it, even if they don't stock it
regularly. I appreciate modern vet medicine, but I also appreciate having
choices!

Jaclyn