[Dailydrool] Fw: I am going to lose my mind: advice please!!!

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Sat Jan 16 18:41:57 PST 2010

I am going to give you another opinion because that is what I do.  Not sure what I would actually do in this specific case.  Depends on the dog and the situation and everyone involved, plus what the rescue policies are.

I do believe that some people genuinely care for the well-being of the dog but can no longer care for the dog themselves and they want the dog to have the best life possible.  Usually because of renting, etc.  I think that if these people want to pay a monthly or yearly fee to help with the care of the dog, that they should get reports and visitation.  It could be a way to supplement the financial burden and have the dog get to enjoy more love all around.   It seems to me that there are a lot of people who would like to foster who can't afford all the medical upkeep, what better way than to "time share" a dog.

It may only work when the people know each other and there is trust and respect.  With the third party rescue group, that may not be possible.

Now with that said, I time share three of my dogs with other families.  I call it "co-loving". The way it works for us is that we see them for shows, field trials and when they need a sitter.  We split all medical bills and discuss what would be the best treatment and how to proceed.  Sometimes I pick them up to take them to see one of my vets and the other owner pays for half the treatment, sometimes they do the treatment.  We all follow up with nutrition, supplements and medications.  We frequently see each family and enjoy time with them.  The dogs get to hang out with us, see their relations and then go back to their homes.  The rules are different in both homes and the dogs know the difference.

The rule we have is that if we are going to go visit that dog, we must take the dog at least for overnight and during that time they must see some of their relatives.  It would not be ok for us to stop by, pet the dog on the head and leave.  That would upset the dog.  So when the dogs see us, they know they are coming to see family and then they go back home.  We also usually trade a "loaner".  So in the case of Harry and Beaver, with Marilyn Bickell, when we pick up Beaver, Harry stays with them until Beaver returns, unless they are both going to Nationals.  Brick has also been to visit the Bickells.  Karma exchanges for Lizzie, and Chowlie is in a multiple dog home and doesn't need a loaner.

The dogs seem to enjoy an expanded lifestyle with more opportunities for adventure and enrichment, and closer bonding time with all the humans they love and the dogs they have grown up with.  They especially enjoy trips that they wouldn't otherwise get to take.

I hold the microchip as primary owner on all my dogs.  That is part of my burder of responsiblity.  We legally co-own the dogs and the microchip companies have both information, in case a dog is picked up and has to have an owner release.

So I believe that two families can share a dog successfully in ways that benefit the dog.

Maybe not workable for most cases, but it does work well for us.  Just something for you all to think about~  Happy to answer any questions about how this works.

Sara*