[Dailydrool] Spayed and neutered hounds can now compete in field trials!

Bob and Denise Rushworth bobrush at optonline.net
Sun Jan 17 07:41:58 PST 2010

Crosspost from Barbara Wicklund, the BCHA's AKC delegate:

"The AKC Board of Directors, at its meeting this week, approved the BHCA
request to allow spayed/neutered Basset Hounds to compete in field trials.
This will go into effect Feb. 1.

All other breeds, except beagles, have admitted spayed & neutered dogs to
compete in their performance events. Spayned & neutered Basset Hound have
been eligible to participate in hunt tests. While field trial dogs must be
AKC-registered, dogs with PAL/ILP numbers may participate in hunt tests.
This is a great activity for you and your rescue dog(s)."

In order to participate in field trials the hound must be AKC-registered
however, hounds with PAL/ILP numbers are eligible to compete in hunt tests.
In the hunt test the dog may compete as a solo, brace (2 hounds), or pack.
The hound(s) are given 30 minutes to find a rabbit.  After 10 minutes the
handler may request assistance from the gallery (spectators).  For those of
you who have never done this with your hounds I would highly recommend it.
The hounds do all the stuff we want to do and this is something that THEY
want to do.  To see that instinct come alive in your hound is just amazing.
Field work is like "Six Flags" for the bassets.  If you want to try your
hound in the field before competing in a field trial or hunt test there are
2 fun field trials held every year.  Berkshire Valley Basset Hound Club
holds their fun field trial in the spring in Pennsylvania and Pilgrim Basset
Hound Club holds their fun field trial in the fall in Massachusetts.  If you
would like more information please e-mail me privately.

Spayed/neutered dogs with PAL/ILP numbers are also eligible to compete in
obedience, rally, agility, and tracking...all great fun for human and hound!

Denise
Houndarosa Hounds