[Dailydrool] Hill's, Purina etc

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 10:10:53 PST 2010

I know I'm a bit behind on this but....
I have to agreed with Bev.  No Hill's prescription is not my first choice all the time BUT - three diets have shown by lab studies (not run by Hill's) that it makes a huge difference.  k/d increases life span for pets with kidney disease (when they eat it), b/d improves brain function in animals with congnitive disfunction and j/d improves joint movement and decreases pain in dogs with joint problems.

As I have said before unfortunately not all of my clients are as proactive as you guys.  Most of them don't want to spend more than $20 on a 50# bag of dog food. "But Doc I have always fed Ol' Roy and it's the best." Head in hand. I say "ok..."  $80 for a 30# bag of dog food IS alot of money and if there is another way to improve their health then I'm all for it.

If they choice is they die from a urinary blockage or they are on u/d or c/d then let them eat it.  I'm sure that we take in HUGE amounts of preservatives, chemicals, and excessive calories on a daily basis yet the dogs are eating better than we are (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I personally think that anything from the grocery store is awful - Dog Chow, Purina One, Kibbles n' Bits - and equate it to junk food.  But I eat Taco Bell!  So maybe we should continue to be concerned about our dogs health and weight AND watch what we are eating as well.  If our dogs are eating natural and organic than maybe we should too.

Laura
Flash and
Ryu (here Mommy let me help you off the soapbox)