[Dailydrool] Dog sharing

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 10:11:20 PST 2010

> The rule we have is that if we are going to go visit that dog, we
> must take the dog at least for overnight and during that time they
> must see some of their relatives.  It would not be ok for us to
> stop by, pet the dog on the head and leave.  That would upset the
> dog.  So when the dogs see us, they know they are coming to see
> family and then they go back home.  We also usually trade a "loaner".

This is sort of the pattern we've developed with our friend Jennifer
and her basset Owen, only we're each financially and veterinarily
responsible for our own dogs, and I don't leave a loaner dog in return.

We used to live catty-corner from each other, and our dogs (at the
time they were Macy, Owen, and our Elsinore) would go over to each
others' homes to play in the fenced yards. Jennifer's dogs hung out
with us while she was at work during the week, and I'd send Elsinore
over to her house for weekend playdates. The result was that our
three bassets felt as if they had this extended pack of each other,
three humans, and two houses and yards.

Then Jennifer, Ken, and I bought houses in different neighborhoods,
which makes visiting less spontaneous. Despite the geographic
distance and reduced visiting times, our bassets continue to feel as
if we're all one big pack. (The two mixed breeds Jennifer adopted
after Macy died, and young Charlie don't seem to feel this as
strongly as Elsinore and Owen.) So when Jennifer comes over here with
her dogs, or we go over to her house with ours, Owen and Elsinore are
immediately right at home and very comfortable. I joke with Jennifer
that Elsinore prefers Jennifer's house to ours because Jennifer
doesn't have nearly as many rules as we do. Jennifer thinks Owen
likes our house better because we have a more regular routine and
take him for walks. We also set up a crate for him, and he loves that
crate. Once I put it in a different room, and he fussed at me until I
moved it to its usual spot.

Owen can always sense when the visiting party is about to head home.
At that point he plants himself in front of Jennifer, wags his tail
hopefully, stares at her, and whines through his nose. Every so often
he'll glance in my direction. It's so very obvious that he's asking
if he can stay with us for awhile. Jennifer holds his gaze for a long
time, deliberating and thinking about the upcoming week's schedule,
and I tell Owen that he's welcome to stay with us if his "mom" says
it's okay. She almost always does. As soon as she tells him he can
stay, he runs happily around the room and then dances in front of the
door as soon as his leash appears. It's very gratifying that he loves
us so much that he wants to spend a week or so with us.

We'd send Elsinore over in exchange, but part of having Owen at our
house is to give Jennifer a break from being one person trying to
spread lots of love over three demanding dogs. When we go out of
town, however, Elsinore goes over to Jennifer's, and we take care of
two of Jennifer's dogs when she's out of town. It's a great
arrangement that really cuts down on boarding fees. Jennifer's beagle/
boxer mix, Lola, and young Charlie do not participate in these
vacation exchanges because both have proven themselves to be very bad
house guests. Lola is terribly destructive out of separation anxiety,
and young Charlie ignores Jennifer's pet door and "forgets" his
housetraining. All over the house. So those two dogs stay at a doggie
day care instead, and I believe they're happier there anyway.

What I love about this loose dog-sharing arrangement is the
opportunity to enjoy another dog without having to be fully
responsible for it; we can't afford veterinary care for three dogs,
and our car isn't large enough to travel with three that size. But
borrowing a dog is great fun and gives us the opportunity to have
even more canine friends than we would if we had just our own with
us. I love having Owen be such an integral part of my life and
knowing that I mean just as much to him as he does to me. Every time
Jennifer calls to tell him it's time to pack up his bags and head
home, almost always before he's showing signs of being ready to go
back to his "real" home, I remind him that he always has a home here
with us if he should ever need one, and I mean it.

Elizabeth