[Dailydrool] Bo of Hawaii is in the vetspital

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 16:42:19 PST 2010

Bo is in the vetspital. He has had three bouts of colitis since just before Christmas. We were able to bring the first two under control after three or four days with Metronidazole (Flagyl), but not this third one, and so Bo has been admitted for stabilization, fluids, IV antibiotics, and a more thorough workup. Bo has lost 6 pounds since just before Christmas (42 lbs. down to 36 lbs.) which, of course, is not good. He has been on Hill's WD for months, which I think has helped, and there were no treats or anything unusual in December. Trials of powdered probiotics and also Slippery Elm produced unwanted side effects (gas, nausea) so he is not on these now. Both Anitra and Ida have sent me good home-cooking recipes which I may start after Bo is stabilized for awhile again, depending on what kind of longterm management plan Bo's vet and I work out. Thank you everyone for suggestions you have sent and for your support during this time. Bo's discomfort just
 kills me--I hate to see him suffering. I am hopeful for a turnaround and better future plan. doGdamn illnesses! I have not been very good at keeping up with Drools lately but also hope for a turnaround there. Drool and aloha to all. Val