[Dailydrool] Elliott, a year later

Jim and Cassandra Vance jvance at stny.rr.com
Tue Jan 19 19:40:33 PST 2010

We said goodbye to our Elliott a year ago ... January 20.  His loss has been so profound to me that I still struggle with losing the essence of a soul that was so closely entwined with my heart.  Elliott was chosen... a puppie from the Pettit line.  He was to us the most magnificent Basset we had seen.  Beautiful, sensitive, forceful and funny he captured our hearts.  He and Lucy were with Jim and I through thick and thin... helping keep Jim healthy after his bi lateral lung transplant... keeping me sane after Jim's brain hemorrage, and traveling with us to Pittsburgh when I donated my left kidney to Jim.   He became the inspiration for our shoppe and the journey of finding the best foods and holistic supplements to keep dogs healthy.  Life without him seems unbearable even today after 365 days without him.  I know my sadness is most likely in proportion to the joy he brought us.  It just makes this side of the equation hollow and difficult.

I feel for each and every one of you who has, or will be sending your beautiful Basset baby off to their next journey... to the place full of wildflowers and meadows where they patiently await our return.

Cassandra