[Dailydrool] Lab work

mtnbassets at hotmail.com mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 26 08:37:17 PST 2010

Everyone needs to decide on a case by case basis. On a young healthy dog for a dental or neuter I don't get labs. Just like we wouldn't for people in those cases. If you suspect something, your dog has an underlying issue or is a senior, or the procedure itself has a risk of high blood loss or other morbidity then of course check the appropriate labs. Going on a fishing expedition is pricey with a very low yield for positive findings.  Anesthesia does not require lab work in a healthy patient. The procedure might. In a senior, evidence of declining renal or liver function helps us manage things but even then, unless advanced, doesn't much change what we do.  It comes down to what you feel comfortable checking or omitting. Just my two cents here....

Synthia, so many bellies to rub so little time
Bud, Barney, Zume, Kahuna, Peaches, Pearl, Dickens
Aca and Kirby
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T