[Dailydrool] Update on Utah Basset Hit by Car

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Thu Jan 28 11:13:36 PST 2010

Here is an update on the basset run over by a car that Utah Friends of Basset Hounds was able to rescue, along with her original story.

She is actually walking 10 days after emergency surgery. Her foster mom says she is recovering nicely. So nicely in fact that she tries to engage her foster siblings in play every chance she gets.  Patty has very limited activity right now, so her legs may heal properly.  She is resting up for the day she'll be able to run and play again. This sweet little one will be available for adoption in a few more weeks.  Patty is very fun to have around, her foster family tells us...a real delight, enjoys being with her people and the other dogs in the home.

   If you didn't get a chance to read her story the other day....here it is again....

 When she was brought to us on Sunday night January 15th, she couldn't stand or be carried without crying out in pain.  Patty went straight to Cottonwood Animal Hospital where she was examined, given pain medication and x-rays were taken.  There was no question she would need surgery.  Just how much would be determined Monday morning.

Patty had not just been hit by a car and left for dead...her hind end had been run over by the car...and then she had been left for dead.  A kind person found her and took her to the local shelter; she was there for over a week before we knew about her.  We immediately made arrangements to get her to Salt Lake City.  A very big thank you to Darlene and her husband for bringing her to us.  And for making the first (and generous) donation for her care.
Dr. Law preformed the surgery, which will enable her to walk again, late Monday evening.  Tuesday morning when we called they said she was alert and had a good appetite. Considering all she's been through she looks ready to get about the business of healing.

Patty will need nursing care in a foster home for four to six weeks, including physical therapy.  Her doctors have given us every reason to believe she will walk again, although not without developing arthritis...which most dogs do experience as they age.
We are very grateful that we were able to take Patty into our care.  Once again, we didn't have to turn away a hound in need.

Patty's medical expenses will be over $1,800.  We'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to Patty's Fund.  If you're able to help at all, please go to http://www.ufbh.org

You can see pictures of Patty on our website at www.ufbh.org or our Facebook page.

Marilyn Briggs