[Dailydrool] loss of sight

Dede Lichtig shrewsburyzoo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 10:28:42 PDT 2010

Several years ago, my daughter (a veterinarian) brought home several sickly
feral kittens from her office.  All were emaciated and full of fleas and
ticks, and 3 of them had serious eye problems.  I chose the 2 sickest ones
and the other two stayed at her home. This arrangement was strictly for
socialization and nursing care and then they would be put up for adoption
 (both are in my lap now.) To spare you all the details, there was a total
of 4 enucleations with one kitten losing both eyes.   I had great
reservations about her ability to acclimate herself to our home with 2 other
dogs, 4 cats and a pot belly pig.  My worries were unfounded.  I looked at
the situation like a human instead of a cat.  She knows exactly what room
she is in by the flooring.  She jumps on the beds, counters and I have even
found her sitting in a free standing sink. I cannot figure out how she knew
it was there or how she figured out where to jump to get to the faucet (no
one else sits in it )  She climbs the stairs and sits my the window and
"watches" the squirrels eating the bird seed on the roof. As long as I don't
leave things in the middle of the floor (like laundry baskets), she is most
mobile, happy and friendly.   Another daughter has a HUGE dog that all the
cats were afraid of (*NOT* because the dog was threatening) and she curled
up next to her as soon as she met her.  She loved the pig (ATB) and often
slept with her as the pig was elderly and didn't leave her bed except for
meals.  She goes outside with me (never alone) and hangs in the garden and
even catches flies.  Animals will make the best of the situation and they
have you for their meals and care.
Dede Lichtig

--
Delores, Queen of the Zoo