[Dailydrool] Back-trouble risks

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Jul 6 06:26:26 PDT 2010

<<His vet has cautioned that the really long ones are more prone to back
issues down the road, because in
Baloo's case his ribs don't go down far enough to compensate for his extra
long spine.>>

I don't know about this. Abner is our shortest hound, in every direction. He
has a huge ribcage. He's only 14" tall. Our other dogs are much longer than
he, but he's the one with back troubles.

I'm no vet, but I'd just like to say that this isn't something you should
probably sit around worrying about. Chances are good that it's a heritable
thing--a study that's going on right now its trying to determine that. If
that is true and your dog doesn't have the genetic predisposition for it, he
may be just fine.

I just hate to think of people sitting around agonizing over their long
dogs.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets