[Dailydrool] Back-trouble risks

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 09:59:01 PDT 2010

There are basically two good ways to acquire a basset.

>From a responsible breeder who ONLY breeds to improve the breed and to rescue to help a hound in need.

I believe that when people acquire a responsibly bred hound that because so much emphasis is put on structure, health of the parents and ability to move properly, that back problems are being minimized. Many vets who are more familiar with dachshund backs (dachshunds have more back problems than we do) because of sheer numbers, may not be aware of this, or if they are seeing poorly bred bassets.  Now accidents can still occur to cause a back problem, but the inherited issues will not be there.  Certainly another issue is to keep nails well trimmed, because long nails will throw off the ability to move and stand properly, which can also lead to back issues.

Also, problems for the back tend not to start in the back.  Look to the structure of the shoulders and rear and how the dog moves.  If you see "tow-ing in" the rear when the dog moves away from you, that can be an indication of potential hip or back problems down the road.  I also have noticed that different bassets approach stairs going up and down in different ways.  Bunny hopping stairs or double teaming the rear legs, may be a preference of style or may be a sign of possible hip or back problems down the road.  The dog who moves all four feet independently, especially when going up, seems to have a very solid structure, but we need more study to this.

If you see gait issues, then you know you need to be more protective and more proactive with that dog.  Make sure you don't see that dog doing things like diving under a tall sofa or bed where the back gets hit.  Block access to any such places.  And walk them slowly up and down stairs on a leash, especially wooden or steep stairs.  You especially do not want the dog to fly off the end of the stair into a wall.  Huge problem for any dog to have as a repeated stress.  And no jumping flies from third steps up.  They need to learn to go down all the steps, even the ones at the bottom.

Fish oil now has scientific evidence to improve arthritis, so the addition of that to the diet as a preventatitve may help.  I give Glucosomine/Chondroitin to a dog who has a knuckle issue, but not sure how much it is helping.  He is young and may be growing out of it as well.  Seems to be in most foods these days, too.

Also, when you exercise a basset, you should see the top line flatten out and the dog pushing from the rear and driving in the front, they should almost appear to glide or fly over the ground.  When you see that, you know you have a back that should be healthy for years to come.

If you want healthier dogs, get them from responsible breeders to encourage steps being made for healthier dogs all around.  To rescue at the same time, is a blessing and a way to help a dog in need.  To only rescue or only get bred by dogs is sad because then you don't benefit the entire picture.  Everyone needs at least two bassets anyway, right?

Sara
=