[Dailydrool] Back-trouble risks

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Jul 7 05:02:57 PDT 2010

Thanks, Sara, for the information on this subject.

Before Abner went down in the back, he went up stairs with no trouble, but
balked at coming down. We were so confused. After his back surgery, the vets
told us that going up stairs was not good for a dog with back troubles, but
going down was even worse for them. I guess Abner was in pain all along, and
we simply could not figure out what was going on.

We had had an X-ray taken of Abs's back, and everything seemed fine. It was
not until we had the pricey test (an MRI? I  don't remember, after all these
years) that we discovered he had both a blown disk and a bulging one. Since
MRI's are really pricey, it's not something you'll do unless the dog goes
down, probably. But don't place too much weight on that X-ray.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets