[Dailydrool] Catching up

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:29:35 PDT 2010

We've been gone a week and I'm trying to get caught up on the DD. We took
our Suzy with us because she has a bladder issue and can't be left
alone lose in the house. She was amazingly great to travel with! We found an
inflatable devise that fits between the front and back seats of the BUV so
she could sit and look out the window and we didn't have to worry about her
getting hurt by falling between the seats. She was good as gold. She wasn't
too happy with the two Dobermans that my son has but she handled everything
very well. The rest the the Houndettes stayed home. The arrangements that we
made for them to be let out during the day worked out pretty well till last
Friday. Apparently our yard people left a gate open and the Houndettes took
off. Fortunately there were two fellows here to catch them before they got
too far but it scared the guys half to death. We all know that hounds don't
come very easily. My girls don't come when we call them much less to a
couple of guys they don't know very well. Needless to say, I'll be having
that conversation with the yard people.

I was horrified when I saw the pics of Trooper. What an appropriate name for
the little guy. This is a family site so I can't print what I'd like to do
to the person that did that. I can only hope that what goes around, comes
around and they get what's coming to them. I'm so glad he's with a family
who will love and care for him now. He would have been PTS if he'd gone to a
shelter and, unfortunately, he may never have been adopted if he'd gone to
a rescue. He's certainly a very special dog and is with some very special
people.

We have a Carlson gate so the Houndettes can't get to the cat pans (Morse
would be very disappointed!). There is an opening big enough for the cats
but Ginger actually managed to wedge her great big body through it. The DH
attached a hard plastic piece to the opening so Ginger couldn't get through
but she continued to work at it. It was hysterical to watch her back up and
fling herself towards the hole to try and get through the new, smaller
opening! Where's a video camera when I need it!

I couldn't help myself and had to measure the Houndettes. I'm wondering if I
started at the right spot? I measured everyone from between their shoulder
blades to where their tails start. Jersey is 21", Shadow is our little girl
at 19", but the two young ones, Ginger and Suzy, are both 22"! I'm not
surprised at Ginger...it explains why nothing is safe on the counters
regardless of how far back we put stuff! She is one of the longest basset
hounds that I have ever seen but I was surprised at Suzy. When you just look
at the two hounds, Suzy really looks smaller, but they really do look to be
about the same length when you stand them side by side (we had to do it just
to compare!). Our vet even commented one time on the size discrepancy
between Jersey and Ginger, thinking that Ginger was smaller than Jersey and
was surprised when the tech told him that they weighed the same. Ginger has
those very heavy basset bones and is real lean (if you can imagine a lean
basset!) but weighs about 61 pounds. Jersey is just a big basset girl who
weighs about 62 pounds right now and Suzy isn't far behind her at about 58
pounds. Shadow is a very petite basset who only weighs 40 pounds and is
perfect at that weight. She's a little one.

We're very glad to be home and I'm catching up on Drools a little at a time.
Hope the holiday wasn't too hard on the hounds that hate fireworks! The
Houndettes send healing drool to all who need it.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy, & Ginger