[Dailydrool] Cadbury - Update

Karen Markisenis kmarkisenis at hvc.rr.com
Mon Jul 12 17:21:40 PDT 2010

The recent ultrasound showed "only" 3 small stones.  While the radiologist recommended surgery to remove them, Cadbury's vet and his breeder's vet are recommending that we add Thiola to his feeding regimen.  While being a very expensive drug, it has less side effects than Cuprimine and purportedly has a better track record of dissolving cystine stones.  If and when they are dissolved, we plan to reduce the amount Cadbury would have to take everyday, keeping him on a maintenance dose to hopefully prevent more from forming.

The plan is to have him on the higher dose for 3 months, all the while watching him like a hawk.  If he shows any signs of discomfort or blockage, he'll immediately have another ultrasound (and surgery, most likely).  My vet is also looking into shock wave lithotripsy.

Right now we are trying to find the medication at the best price possible.  I want to start Cadbury on the medication ASAP.  So far, my local family owned pharmacy and a Canadian mail order pharmacy have the best prices.  Not sure if I trust the Canadian mail order.  I know my pharmacy will give me what I want; when I want it.  Would you care to share your experience/knowledge of mail order pharmacies; especially those outside the USA?

I must also say that a friend (Nora) who is a Reiki Master is working on him.  Another friend (Amanda) has recommended that I contact Dr. Wen and Monica Segal;  both would offer an alternative approach to dealing with Cadbury's cystinuria disorder.   During the next 3 months I intend to research such alternative options.  For now, the immediate concern is dissolving the stones that currently reside in Cadbury's bladder to avoid surgery.

Thanks to all who prayed; shared ideas & information; or sent my email on to other dog owners.

Karen