[Dailydrool] What Llewis Taught Us Yesterday

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 05:20:51 PDT 2010

LLewis went to the re-hab place yesterday and had his re- evaluation. It has
been 4.5  years since we were there. They remembered him-- we went there for
months when he was a baby--and since we all sit on mats on the floor, he
managed to hit every lap at least once.
They were pleased he is doing so well, and a bit surprised, I think. He has
some pain and we are going to deal with that. We got some advice on changing
meds, which we will certainly try, and a suggestion for laser therapy, which
we will talk to Doc about, hopefully today. If Doc will do it it means not
driving 2 hrs twice a week for three weeks or so.
I learned that acupuncture, which I was simply going to have done believing
it to be helpful, would at this point be the least effective therapy for him
and that ice and heat, laser therapy and massage would right now benefit him
more, loosening extremely tight muscles which made even Chiropractic work
not possible without pain.
He had everything measured except his ears. How far his knee bends, his
hips; how far can he straighten his legs; is there pain here, or there or
there--- the most he did was raise his head and look at her--she never HURT
him-- her hands so sure and gentle. Does this muscle work? This one?
(sometimes--no it didn't). And when we were done the recommendations, the
new meds, the sense of hope-- that he is not going downhill as I thought,
but things ARE stressed and bent and too tight and he does need some help.
Which he will get. He has no idea he is different, and his easy-going and
cheery demeanor never changed. You want to push me on my side and pull on my
legs? OK. He gave kisses. He was nervous going in but never protective of
himself, never reluctant. Of all my dogs, he has the sweetest nature in
spite of the nasty hand Nature dealt him.
I should be so nice.

And then, late yesterday evening, we learned something else about Llewis.
He can ahroo with his mouth full.

I am sitting inside and hear a muffled "mmmmhhhoooooooo" several times.
WTF??? Is someone caught somehow in a fence? I went trotting out and the
INSTANT i saw Llewis I knew.....his mouth was full, his cheeks extended,
tail wagging----baby bunny. That damn rabbit I have seen around really HAD
put a nest in the yard!!
He saw me coming, scooped up the baby and I was on him before he could get
more than two feet. He was not really very determined. I think he was a
little surprised that it kept moving. So I collected the bunny and praying
there were no more (my prayers are NEVER answered) I examined him and I
think his little tiny front leg is broken but I delivered him to Roger,
whose own bunny just got killed.And then I heard "MMmmrrrrooooo" and Llewis
had his mouf full.-- as I say, MY prayers fall on deaf ears.

This baby was not so lucky. A little smaller and held a little tighter did
it in, and it died shortly. A blessing. I do not think Roger's bunny will
survive.  Cute as a button but damaged... and Roger is not a re-hab guy so
really, he is working at a real disadvantage. If there were more bunnies
either the boys got them first or they were missed (or not and I don't know
which is fine.) I have not seen the Mother again. I know she had probably
just been at the nest-- the scent must have been hot indeed, and they have
been looking for the nest for days.

(When I hollered at Cindy that I had something for her she said "Is it
contagious?": next time she'll say "Is it breathing?")

(If Nigel had had the bunny I never would have gotten his mouth open, but
Llewis didn't seem to mind)

MomPerson, hoping the rabbits move elsewhere, to Nigel (I MISSED IT!! HOW
COULD I MISS IT??) Conley (I wantitI wantit I wantit) and Llewis (Here Mom,
it wiggles in my mouth!!!) and Cooper (Oh Lord.)