[Dailydrool] What to carry to ward off other dogs

Sarah sarah.moore1 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 1 05:50:35 PDT 2010

I remember a while back there were some recommendations of things to carry
to stop an attack from another dog but I can't remember what the products
were.  This morning, while walking Penny, a pit-bull broke out of its yard
as we were passing its house and ran straight for Penny.  Thankfully Penny
went flat to the ground and the dog's owner came running out of the house
cursing at the dog while promptly ran away.  Both Penny and I are fine but
very shaken up (and Penny is drooling worse than when she goes to the vet).
I case the pit-bull breaks out again (I understand from their neighbor that
it does so on a regular basis) I want to be 'armed' with something to
prevent the dog from coming near Penny and I.

For now I will change my regular route but the love of Penny's life lives a
few doors down from this pit-bull so I don't want to have to avoid walking
my hound on my own street forever because of this dog.

Any recommendations would be useful.  I talked to the head of the homeowners
association this morning because he happened to be leaving to go to work at
the same time we were out there.  There have apparently been multiple
reports on this dog but there doesn't seem to be anything they can do.

Thanks

Sarah, mommy to Penny (still shaking)